Advance Carolina’s Urban/Suburban Development Project
Key to Advance Carolina’s mission is to build Black political and economic power in NC. As our staff discussed with over 150 leaders in 5+ I85 Corridor NC counties over the last year, many spoke to the need of a comprehensive urban/suburban development project. These conversations with community leaders sparked a I85 Corridor NC Urban/Suburban Development project by Advance Carolina. We believe that this investment in a comprehensive plan led by folks living in these communities will better position resources from the government, foundations and other entities with a vested interest in our neighborhoods.
The timeline of this project:
- March 2017– Advance Carolina I85 Corridor Urban/Suburban Development Assembly (3/4/2017 in Concord, NC)
- Over 50 delegates from 8 counties voted unanimously to except the 7 point framework of a plan, called the “Jeremiah Plan.” The plan gets its name from the biblical passage Jeremiah 29:7.
- Over the next few weeks, counties will work to convene meetings with leaders in their counties.
- April through June 2017 –
- County Committees will start the petition drive and seek supportive Letters and Resolutions.
- July 2017 –
- Comprehensive Plan to be completed and follow-up Assembly to be called.
(Click above to view the Two-Page Overview)
For more information, please send us an email at Daniel@AdvanceCarolina.org.
See the pictures from our March 2017 Assembly
Held 3/4/2017 in Concord, NC. We had 5 counties represented from Cleveland to Forsyth, we caucused together as counties and adopted the framework of the Jeremiah Plan.