Position: Staff Accountant and Bookkeeper
Advance North Carolina and North Carolina Black Alliance are seeking a Staff Accountant and Bookkeeper to manage the financial reporting, data entry and data integrity for both organizations, ensuring that proper generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) have been utilized to track, manage, and record the organization’s financials for full compliance and cash management.
This position will work closely with the executive team and Board of Directors to develop and implement financial strategies that support the organization’s mission and goals.
- Ownership and responsibility for all accounts, known as the general ledger, adjusting when needed.
- Ensure compliance with all financial reporting and regulatory requirements, 501c revenue recognition rule, including tax filings, audits, and other reporting requirements as needed.
- Utilizing the appropriate financial management system to properly track, classify, and record all income and expense transactions.
- Code each transaction to the appropriate Chart of Account (based on the budget), Class (based on the program) and Donor (based on the Grant).
- Track programmatic expenditures and grant allocations based on the parameters defined in the grant agreements.
- Create, manage, and maintain all account receivables and payables when identified.
- Responsible for managing the organization’s accounts and ensuring proper monthly reconciliations of payroll entries, credit card and PEX card statements, and all other accounts as required.
- Utilize monthly timesheet reports for compensation program allocations for more accurate reporting.
- Provide financial management for all fiscal sponsorship partners.
- Manage month-end close process and complete with accurateness.
- Assist in establishing internal processes and procedures for the financial team that are recorded in the internal controls document.
- Prepare and present monthly financial reports for each Director that includes a budget analysis that will inform future spending decisions.
- Prepare and present monthly financial reports for the Chief Finance Officer, Executive Director, and Board of Directors, providing analysis and recommendations as needed.
- Report on the financial performance of the organization to the Board of Directors, including regular updates on budget performance, forecasts, and financial risks and opportunities.
- Report monthly expenditures for all restricted grants based on utilization.
- Provide separate reports for those organizations for which there is a fiscal sponsorship agreement.
Credit Card Management
- Monthly credit card reconciliations and classification
- Monthly PEX card reconciliations and classification
- Identify and report fraudulent activity.
Budgeting and Forecasting
- Co-manage the annual budgeting process for both organizations.
- Consult with the CFO, and Development Director to identify annual revenue goals by category (individual, companies, institutional giving, etc.)
- Consult with the CFO and program directors to identify anticipated program expenditures based on work plans and commitments.
- Work closely with all stakeholders to develop realistic and achievable budgets.
- Monitor actual performance against budget and provide regular updates and analysis to the CFO, Executive Director, and Board of Directors.
- Identify restricted grant dollars that cross over multiple fiscal years to ensure those funds are protected based on commitments made.
Tax Filing and Compliance
- Oversee all tax filings (990 included) and compliance requirements, ensuring that the organization is following all relevant laws and regulations.
- Manage relationships with external auditors and other financial service providers to ensure compliance with all reporting and regulatory requirements.
The Chief Finance Officer and/or Executive Director may assign other tasks.
Education & Qualifications:
- Proven work experience, preferably in a 501c nonprofit organization (5+ years)
- Familiarity with the way nonprofit organizations are structured.
- Excellent knowledge of data analysis, risk management, and forecasting methods
- Hands-on experience with accounting and financial management software and different applications (e.g., APLOS, Quickbooks, Bll.com, PEX, Gusto, Expense Point, etc.)
- Proficient and expertise in MS Excel
- Analytical skills
- Detailed Oriented
- Ability to explain financial terms in simple language.
- Ability to self-motivate, work with both close direction and independently, function well as a team member, and know when to seek guidance or get help.
- Strong interpersonal skills, experience meeting deadlines and funding goals, and the ability to multitask while maintaining a calm, professional work style.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google applications.
- BSc or MSc in Finance, Accounting, or relevant field
- Certified Public Accountant a plus
- North Carolina Resident Preferred
Expectations & Compensation:
- This is a full-time employment position with compensation commensurate with experience.
- Full benefits package included.
- Salary Range: $85,000 to $95,000
How to Apply:
Advance North Carolina is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.